Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dick Vitale selected for Little League Hall of Excellence

Dick Vitale (center) honored by Little League
Just when you think there can't be another Hall of Fame for Dick Vitale it happens.

The ESPN college basketball iconic TV analyst recently learned that he is going to be inducted into the Little League Hall of Fame in Williamsport, Pa.

It will be the 11th Hall of Fame for the Lakewood Ranch resident. Actually it is officially called the Peter J. McGovern Little League Museum Hall of Excellence and was established to recognize Little League graduates who have become outstanding citizens and role models as adults

"It's the greatest thrill to be there and something I want to share with my grandkids. I am absolutely ecstatic," Vitale said. "The first uniform I ever had was with the Garfield Little League in New Jersey in 1951. I am going to be like a little kid at the ceremony with my autograph pad."

Vitale is slated to be inducted during the Little League World Series between August 16th and 26th. He is being inducted for his work in community affairs, particularly for the Jimmy V Foundation that raises money for pediatric cancer research.

"I am not getting in for baseball, but I will tell you I was one heck've little leaguer" Vitale said. "I once had a perfect game with two outs in the last inning and the ball was hit through the first baseman. I could pitch. I learned how to throw a curve when I was 13 and by the time I was 15 my elbow hurt so much I couldn't get velocity anymore on my fastball."












No comments:

Post a Comment