Friday, July 15, 2011

Booker's Mack hopes to play hoops at SCF

The State College of Florida basketball team could be getting a nice surprise next season.

Marquis Mack,, the 2010 National Junior College High jump, hopes to enroll and play basketball for the Manatees pending some classes he has to finish this summer.

The 6-6, 190 pounder is no stranger to the game of basketball. He was a standout for Booker where he averaged 20 points, nine rebounds and four blocked shots a game his senior season in 2008.

Mack was supposed to attend University of South Florida, but he didn’t qualify and in 2009 when to Iowa Central Community College where he won the national high jump title when he cleared the bar a 7-feet, 4 inches.

He was the state high jump champ in high school and his best mark was a 7-5 he turned in the summer after his graduation from Booker at a national meet.

He was out of school last year and his taking classes at SCF. He will be a walk-on, but says that is fine with him.

“I’ve always wanted to switch to basketball because that is my favorite sport,” Mack said. “At the end of the summer I will know about my status with SCF. Right now, I am taking courses and hope to get my grades up. They can play me anywhere, but I think my best attributes are defense and running the floor.”

No comments:

Post a Comment