Sunday, June 12, 2011

IMG's Daniels kicks off great week for UConn

If Jim Calhoun didn’t have a reason to return to coach Connecticut to a repeat national championship he received two big ones last week.

It started with IMG Academy Basketball standout DeAndre Daniels committing to the Huskies on Tuesday putting a great cap on his 2011 recruiting class.

Two days later, it was reported by ZagsBlog that New York Christ The King guard Omar Calhoun Jr.. (no relation), among the top players in the Class of 2012, had verbally committed to the Huskies.

Calhoun said he would announce soon whether he was returning, though that seemed like a foregone conclusion. When he was in the area for the Dick Vitale Gala, who sounded enthusiastic about coaching another season and said he was feeling good after two successful battles with cancer.

Daniels told several media outlets that Calhoun was coming back and his comments last week seemed to indicate the same thing.

“I picked Connecticut because it was the best situation for me,” Daniels said. “They do a good job of developing their wing guards and their style of play fits me. Watching them win the national championship played a role in my decision. I wanted to go to a winning program and help them repeat.

“I felt comfortable talking to coach Calhoun and watching them play on television. I talked to him the day I committed and he welcomed me into the Husky family. I am the happiest dude in the world right now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment