Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sam Shields attends Dick Vitale Gala

The Dick Vitale Gala on Friday night didn't just involve basketball players coming to raise money for pediatric cancer research.

One of those in attendance was Green Bay Packer rookie sensation Sam Shields who stunned the pro football world in 2010.

Shields was one of the best feel good stories in the NFL last season, coming out of nowhere to earn a spot on the Packer secondary as a cornerback after spending nearly his entire career at Miami as a receiver.

He was one of the most highly touted receivers in the country coming out of Sarasota Booker and is considered one of the best pass catchers the Manatee-Sarasota County area has ever produced.

"I've been back at the University of Miami working out with some of the players since the lockout," Shields said. "The lockout is what it is. It's something I can't control and I am just waiting for the decision by the judge and hopefully we can get back to work. I hope it ends before the regular season starts.

"Right now I have a three year contract with Green Bay so I don't know if anything will affect me directly. Hopefully, I can have a good year next year and go back to the table and talk.

"Since the Super Bowl things have been great for me. It's been a long journey to get there and it's been a blessing and I thank my family for helping me.

"I am here tonight to support Dick Vitale. My aunt passed away some years back from cancer and it is close to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment