Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Daniels and Holtz reach an understanding

USF head football coach Skip Holtz has told quarterback B.J. Daniels have been going through a learning process with each getting to know the other a little better every day.

That relationship might have taken what could be called a significant step last week against FAU when Daniels called an audible on fourth down.

“I sent in a fourth down call and he check it (changed it) at the line of scrimmage,” Holtz said. “He came back and I said don’t ever check a fourth down call, coaches get fired over fourth down calls.

"He looked at me and said ‘coach I like you and I don’t want you to get fired and I won’t check anymore on fourth down.’”

Holtz said there are no hard feelings and it’s all part of the growth process that the coach and his most important pupil are going through.

“In the first four games we have gotten know BJ better as a player and he has gotten to know what our expectations of him are as a player,” Holtz said. “I think from a mental standpoint he is getting better and better every week. He is a very talented young man with a strong arm and great athletic ability and he has become a student of the game.”

No comments:

Post a Comment